Monday, August 29, 2016

Batman Begins



The first thing that came to my mind when leaving the Argentina airport is how, this is it, Im alone, no more face to face contact with my family or friends, for 2 years.


Coming into Argentina my thoughts were... Being in the city, walking from apt to apt, having a ward filled with active members that I can use effectively.
Its not what everything is... Everything is different, nothing is entirely clean., to the standards of the states, everything is carpeted, thats not the case here, dust is everwhere, its dangerous., Its weird, but I love it.

When I came here i didnt understand anything. I still dont.
My companion, Elder Doolin, has been here for nine months.
Over the course of the few days I have been in the field, alot has happened.
When you teach the gospel in a different language, it gains power.
We are currently reactivating a member who has left the church for 4 years. He wants his daugher baptized.
We have this woman, who at first glance doesnt look that intrested in the gospel, we came to her, she now wants to be baptised on the 24th of Sept.

There is this Hermana named Sarah. She is 24 years old, an orphan, her parents were active members of the chuch and she was too young to be baptised when they died. We found her by a miracle. She didnt know what elders were besides knowing that they were part of America and usually they know english. She wanted to learn english, she went to the church to find us, but what she found was our patriatch giving a blessing. She is now an extremely active investagator, and she is praying about weather to be baptised.

Dogs everywhere, I've had a stray walk up to me, it was a puppy, and I was teaching an investigator outside, and she was talking about how thats one of her new pups.
It fell alseep on my foot when I was sitting, and remained there the entire time during the lesson. When we finished the lesson, the dog was dead, it died on my foot, it starved to death-

You cant walk on the sidewalks because you could get grabbed. We walk around with 15 pesos on us, thats a dollar in American.  We dont care if we get robbed, it hasn't happend yet, but someone broke into our apt, it was a progressing investigator with a baptismal date, and they stole a pair of my companions shoes, NOTHING ELSE. Litterally we looked around, nothing. We are alot more secure now though, we learned the area pretty well, where the dangerous areas are where they are not. We walk different paths to the home every day.  A cop moved across the street from us and set a cam up to watch our house. We are really safe now but its been crazy!


Love you all!  Pray for me, this is hard, I'm a bit homesick, but I know it will go away.






1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry things are off to a rough start. My son Jeff was in areas that were extremely scary. You are doing a great work. May Heavenly Father bless you Elder! We love you and your family and you are in our prayers. Thanks for sharing! I enjoy reading your weekly posts. Take care!

    ReplyDelete